The Saint Louis University Men’s Basketball team won their first-round game in the NCAA Tournament yesterday. Their victory prompted thousands of curious fans to rush to the interwebs and google SLU's mascot, the Billiken. What is a Billiken exactly? No one really knows, so last night we put our highly unpaid research staff to work. They poured over hundreds of dusty tomes, ancient scrolls, and Encarta CD-ROMs trying to find the answer. But, as so often happens with the esoteric research projects we give them, our little research nerdlings came up with a bevy of possible answers. Here are .
A Billiken Is…
2. The pronunciation of “billy club” after being struck in the head by a billy club.
3. The original Beanie Baby.
4. What a sleepy Pope counts in lieu of sheep.
5. The patron saint of short-sellers, Pai Gow dealers, and lobbyists.
6. The adorable couple name we’ll use if Mattel ever decides to give Ken .
7. An original character created by a woman who lived in a time when heroin was readily prescribed in .
8. The long-time alien inhabitants of St. Louis' Gateway Arch.
9. A giant bush monster.
10. The Night’s Watch’s secret weapon against a White Walker invasion.
11. What Genie from Aladdin looked like as a baby.
12. The official mascot of the Royal Order of Jesters.
13. The author of The Secret.
14. What sits on your shoulder when the angel or devil is on a smoke break.
15. Something from a Guillermo Del Toro fever dream.
New to Spectavius? Here are some ways you can get connected:
Click LIKE in the upper right hand corner to connect with Spectavius on Facebook and get all the latest right in your News Feed.
Before you leave, check out an article from our Top 10 Most Read over on the right.